The medical profession is one of the most popular careers among the young students. Doctors get great respect and they can make a decent money as well, that is the reason a great majority of the students want to get admissions in medical schools. Some medical schools are popular as compared to others and getting into Harvard medical school is a not less than a dream. It is one of the oldest medical schools in the country and has played an important role in medical filed. It is one of the seven schools, which are parts of Ivy League. Here we are discussing some important things about the school and how you can get admitted to Harvard. Our medical school consultant knows exactly what the admission committee is looking for in an application essay. Your task now is probably to get a good Harvard medical school application essay before the deadline.
Brief History of Harvard Medical School
As mentioned earlier, Harvard is one of the oldest medical schools. It was established on September 19, 1782, by three professors of chemistry and pharmacology, namely, John Warren, Benjamin Waterhouse, and Aaron Dexter. Now the school has more than 10,000 part-time and full-time instructors. It changed various locations over the course of time, and now it’s located near Boston. Harvard medical school has been associated with some popular health innovations like smallpox vaccination, the introduction of insulin, development of cardiac pacemakers, first heart valve surgery, first human kidney transplant and many others. These innovations make it a leading medical school not only in the country but around the world and a lot of students try getting into Harvard medical school.
Statistics about Application to Harvard
Harvard medical school is a popular medical school and that is the reason thousands of students apply here every year. However, getting into Harvard medical school is not easy due to Harvard medical school admission requirements, that is the reason majority of the students get rejected. Let’s have a look at statistics. Keep in mind Harvard medical school programs are not limited to the doctors only.
- This year, 2017, Harvard medical school received 6, 749 applications for the Harvard medical school admissions, but only 235 students got admission here, which is 3.5% only.
- Matriculated students are 165, including 84 men and 81 women.
- The number of Asian students is 56%, while 205 students belong to other continents when it comes to underrepresented medicine.
- Other than these, other students are also admitted in Harvard like 146 PhD students, 35 DMD students and 84 MMSc students.
Harvard Application Requirements
When you get information about Harvard med requirements, it’s important to understand that the admission committee considers different factors like academic records, MCAT results, research experience, community services and extracurricular activities too.
Now if we talk about the Harvard medical school entry requirements, they are as follows.
- The Harvard school of medicine accept applications from the graduates of accredited colleges.
- The personal and academic credentials of the students should be good enough to predict the success in the field of medicine.
- Applicants should have an aptitude towards biological and physical sciences, reflected through the undergraduate courses they have taken in college.
- Applicants should have one year College or university training in US if they have not studied in US and Canada. Foreign students are not accepted if they don’t have an advanced degree from US or Canada.
- Applicants should be fluent in English for better communication. These are the eligibility requirements, which is important for every student to fulfill if he/ she wants to seek admission to Harvard medical school. However, not every student who fulfills these requirements gets admission. There are different selection factors, which decides either an applicant will get admission or not. These list of selection factors are given below, which are considered by the selection committee. You have to forward your application through AMCAS.
Admissions selection factors:
- Academic records are the first thing, which should be very good.
- MCAT score, high MCAT scores really matter in your success, like Columbia medical school admissions.
- Applications essay, which is considered the most important factor in your admission.
- Extracurricular activities
- Experiences in health filed particularly community work.
- Your occupations in Summers are also very vital.
These Harvard medical school requirements look very simple, but actually, a small percentage of applicants get admission in Harvard.
How to Get to Harvard Medical School – Few Tips
Now you know the Harvard medical school entry requirements, you can prepare your applications easily. However, here are a few tips, which can help you to get into Harvard medical school.
- If you want to get admission in Harvard medical school, you have to focus on it from the very beginning. For instance, try to get good academic grades, as they really matter in admission.
- Focus on your MCAT, a high score can ensure your admission. Try to score near 40 from 45 total marks, or at least it should be more than 35.
- Don’t be a bookworm, rather take part in extracurricular activities and save those participation certificates for admission application.
- Try to get involved in community work, related to health, it has a heavy weight.
- Last but not the least, write a good application essay that shows your strength as an individual.
We Are Here to Help You
If you are having any problems regarding filling the application form, we are here to help you, particularly application essay. Application essay is considered a very crucial thing in getting into Harvard medical school. But the majority of the students cannot write that properly and lose their chance to get admission, in spite of their good grade and good community work experience. We can help you with every aspect of your admission if you find it difficult to understand or you don’t have time.